Tuesday, September 23

Leica's New Gear

A friend of mine just informed me of some recently annouced new cameras offered by Leica of Germany. Back in the film days, Leica was regarded as the best camera for photojournalists. Only, we all used Nikon and Canon cameras because Leica was ridiculously expensive. Enter digital, and Leica nearly went out of business because they could not keep up pace with the new technology. Now, they have announced a new digital system which, I hope, makes them a major player again.

Leica S-System on Engadget

Leica has my number. I was just discussing the new Canon 5D Mk II with some photog friends of mine. They were excited by the addition of a few bells and whistles, but I was pissed. (HD video --gag me with a spoon.) I am so sick upgrading every 4 years to the next slighter-better-but-still-not-what-you-need "modern" cameras. Canon and Nikon are producing cameras based on a software engineers idea of what is good. The last thing a proper camera needs is more options within nested menus, they already have too many with just shutter speed and aperture. Auto focus will never work as well as manual, if we could just buy a digital camera with a decent focusing screen. I spend all my time trying to get my 5D to act properly, as it is constantly trying to screw up my shots. But I have to deal with that, because the 5D is the only decent sensor on the market. Even the four-thirds ratio of the Leica makes sence, as that is much easier to work with for final printing. Also, a four thirds sensor is going to use much more of the available light circle provided by the lens.

I am waiting for someone to come out with a digtial Nikon FM (film SLR from the eighties). That was the only decent camera I have ever owned.

Here is a photo of my ego when dealing with camera manufactures.

No comments: