Tuesday, April 17

James Nachtwey's Ted Award Speech

Photojournalism is a word a lot of people use, but there are not any real clear definitions. This blog is an opportunity for me to communicate my understanding of photojournalism. To me, the very best photojournalist, living or dead, is James Nachtwey. I would encourage anyone who has the time to watch this video.

http://ted.streamguys.net/ted_nachtwey_j_2007_480.mov

Nachtwey mentions in his speech that a picture which reveals the true face of war, would by definition be an anti-war photograph. I agree with that sentiment, and with all humility, I think wedding photojournalism is the opposite side of the same idea. War photography illustrates humanity at its worst, and I think I have been lucky enough to find a niche that represents humanity at its best. It is important to understand what we are capable of, both good and bad.

No comments: