Wednesday, January 3

Kim + Ned's ceremony







Saint Elizabeth's Church on the Auraria Campus is a really spectacular location. It was my first time there and I hope to return soon and often.

I especially like the shot of Kim and her dad. It is a little blurry and grainy, and I think that is the essence of photojournalism's style. Back when 35mm film cameras were new, and electronic flashes had yet to be invented, people like Robert Frank used to travel around capturing stories with a tiny leica and ISO 1600 BW film. The images were so striking, new and powerfull, they defined a look that 60 years later wedding photogs are trying to duplicate with all our fancy digital equipment. It really works well, though I will admit that the "style" probably appeals more to photographers than it does the general public. I hope images like these appeal to the majority of my clients, because they are certainly what I strive for in my photos. This image is also a good illustration of why I left newspaper photography. An image like this is too stylistic for most newspaper editors. The same is true for the panning shot. You almost never see panning in newspaper photography --which I dont understand because it is totally kick-arse. "Why didn't you use a flash!?!" the editors would say. Modern photographers are far too addicted to flash photography. Flash is the fastest way to kill the magic of any moment.

No comments: